Welcome to the ACE Reflections Blog! This blog is used by our program participants as a way to share their academic community engagement experiences. Please browse through our postings and comments and feel free to jump right in. Thank you for visiting!
Get comfortable with the uncomfortable is a phrase that gets tossed around a lot in our Bonner Family. While you may get tired of hearing it, it is an important saying because discomfort challenges us, and it is what challenges us that changes us. By getting comfortable with the uncomfortable, we are allowing ourselves access to more personal growth
How do you approach tasks that make you uncomfortable? Can you give an example of a time you overcame uncomfortability and succeeded/ grew from the experience? Are there any situations on your horizon that will make you uncomfortable, and how will you be approaching them?
Our most recent Bonner training was about Education, specifically the inequality that exists in education systems around the world.
Use this blog post to reflect on your education so far. Have you had any teachers who were truly inspiring? Have you ever had that one teacher who pushed you to succeed, like Dr. Colesante mentioned? If so, explain how that teacher helped you and how important that they were to your success? How would you say that your education ties into your privilege?
Please attend a campus activity that is related to Social Justice. In a reflection, please briefly describe the event you attended, what campus/community center hosted the event, and answer the following questions. This is not meant to be a “busy task” so please take the time to reflect deeply for your own personal growth.
- What did you think the event would be like? What was it actually like?
- What do you feel about what you saw or experienced?
- What made you uncomfortable? Why were you uncomfortable?
- Was there anything really difficult about this situation? If so, why?
- What questions did this experience bring up for you?
- What have you learned about yourself through this experience?
Please read the attached two articles. Respond with your thoughts on the articles in a post.
Consider the following:
- What role can CPI play in this government/nonprofit dynamic?
- Why is this year’s election so important for nonprofits?
- Is the influence of nonprofits on government changing?
- Can you provide an example of a nonprofit that is influencing government policies?